Saturday, January 28, 2006

Central Decatur in Leon


Knowing Central Decatur was on our schedule for the day, I could hardly wait until we arrived. Our first classroom visit was to long-time friend, Council Bluffs native, Ms. Jane Leuck. Back home I first met Jane's parents, Bob and Reva Leuck. Bob was a political activist and encouraged and helped me in many ways when I first ran for the state legislature in 1992. Many evenings the Leucks would prepare dinner for me, knowing I would stop only briefly and return to door knocking. They spoke often of how proud they were of their only daughter that was a teacher. Jane and I often connected in the summer for coffee to share our school stories. It was so fun to see Jane in her classroom setting and see the great relationships she builds with her students. You're the best, Jane Leuck!


Lynne Skinner's Reading group (at left) were absolutely such fun to read aloud to. They joined in on the familiar repeated pattern portions of the southwest version of the Three Little Pigs. When we finished I challenged them to take a familiar story and write their own version. They also really liked the ISEA pencils.

A big thanks to Amy Hamilton, Central Decatur EA president, for setting up the schedule and making time in her day to introduce us to the school district Superintendent. Thanks for all you do, Amy!

No comments: