Wednesday, August 15, 2007

U.S. Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton Brings Her Campaign to Council Bluffs


On Tuesday evening, August 14th I had the unique opportunity to introduce New York Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton at a campaign event back in my home community of Council Bluffs. My, what an honor!

By the time the gym doors were closed and the event was to begin on the campus of the Iowa School for the Deaf, over 1,100 people had gathered to hear Senator Clinton. People were actually turned away as the gym was at capacity!

It was an extra special treat to be back home among my friends and colleagues! And, as August weather in Iowa can be....it was "A Hot August Night" (okay, taking from Neil Diamond!).

As the announcer belted out, "Now please welcome Linda Nelson and the next president of the United States, Hillary Rodham Clinton", the butterflies fluttered in my stomach! I had to giggle to myself, those folks are probably wondering, "Who is Linda Nelson".










Senator Clinton, as always, did an amazing job as she delivered her message in conveying who she is an individual and also as a leader by sharing her vision of where she would like to lead our country.
Long time friends that I had the chance to reconnect with at the event are (from left to right) Dan Penkert, Kathy Penkert, Boyd Littrell, Kate Cutler, Council Bluffs Mayor Tom Hanafan and U.S. Senator Hillary Clinton.
When the event was over and the crowd was clearing, Senator Clinton posed for this photo with my friend Cookie Clapper and me. Cookie is the Grievance Chair for the Council Bluffs EA and an Intermediate Behavior Disorder teacher at Carter Lake Elementary.

1 comment:

kimkaz said...

My oh My! I am so proud to work with two fine representatives of our profession! Of all the people to choose in Council Bluffs the campaign asked teachers and those who represent teachers! Thank you for your continued advocacy. Kim Kazmierczak, Principal