Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Sweetheart Day in Lawton-Bronson

Today is Valentine's Day and Lincolnway UniServ Director Myron Halverson and I teamed up again today to visit another one of the great locals in Lincolnway UniServ Unit. Our association road led us to Lawton-Bronson on yet another snowy Iowa morning.

We arrived before the school day began in Bronson to the elementary building of Pre-K through 5th grade. Myron is pictured (on the left) with Lincolnway UniServ President Mary Siepker and 1st grade teacher here at the Bronson elementary building. The Lawton-Bronson EA hosted a breakfast reception where we had a chance to meet many of the great staff members.

Our first classroom visit took us into the 4th grade classroom of birthday girl Mrs. Wendy Oates. I read aloud the picture book 17 Things I'm Not Allowed To Do Any More. The students were great listeners and they have such a fun day a head! Mrs. Oates and her 4th graders are pictured on the right.
Next I was off to the 2nd grade room of Laurie Amick. Laurie had me read the book Miss Nelson Is Missing. I love this book and the students loved it too! Mrs. Amick is pictured with her homeroom of 2nd graders on the left.

The final classroom visit at Bronson Elementary took us into the 1st grade class of Team ISEA leader Mary Siepker. Mary had me read Marc Brown's book Arthur's Valentine. In the story Arthur has a secret admirer. In the end Arthur finds out who his secret admirer is and gives her candy kisses. Ms. Siepker had little gift bags for each student filled with Hershey kisses for me to give each student. Pretty creative, don't you think! Ms. Siepker and her 1st graders are pictured here on the right.

As we were ready to leave, the children surprised me with hand-made Valentines. Thanks, boys and girls! I read them all when I returned home to my kitties. The cards were all so beautiful!

Before leaving the Bronson building, UniServ Director Myron and I had the chance to sit and visit with elementary principal Chad Shook. We discussed recent action of the Iowa General Assembly with Mr. Shook as well as the upcoming building project in which a new elementary will be built and ready to open for the 2009-2010 school year.

UniServ Director Myron and I were next off to Lawton to the Middle and High School building. When we arrived in the office we were greeted by Superintendent of Schools Jeff Thelander.

Mr. Thelander (pictured at right) made us a cup of tea to enjoy as we had a chance for conversation. We discussed the proposed core curriculum beginning to move through the Iowa Senate and the one cent sales tax as it currently in place and the proposed change moving through the Iowa House.[Note: Check out the University of Nebraska-Lincoln pennant on the wall! Mr. Thelander earned his Masters from UNL, I earned my Bachelor's degree from UNL--we became friends quickly!]
We had the chance to visit one classroom here in the Middle School. Seventh grade Language Arts and Reading teacher Beth Bellinghausen had Myron and I join in on teams as they played the game "Word Sweep". I was on a team with two great students that helped our team do well! Mrs. Bellinghausen had me share with the students some of the responsibilities I have in my job, then students had prepared questions for me.

Thank you so much Lawton-Bronson for your hospitality! You have amazingly great things going on in your school district!

No comments: