Friday, March 14, 2008

JDC Tour Begins in Central DeWitt

My tour of JDC UniServ Unit began on Tuesday, March 11th with a visit to Central DeWitt in DeWitt, Iowa. UniServ Director Bob Brown and I met with CDEA members in the Family Consumer Science classroom for sweet rolls, coffee and juice over conversation in the Middle School before the school day began.


Central DeWitt EA President Kevin Roling (on left) visits with JDC UniServ Director Bob Brown (on right) as members gather. Kevin teaches 6th grade Science.



Deb Richmann (pictured at right) teaches Computer Skills here in Central DeWitt. In addition to serving as a local leader, Deb serves as President of JDC UniServ Unit. Thanks, Deb for all you do as a leader on Team ISEA!




Nearly two dozen staff dropped by before their school day began on Tuesday to visit with us. It is always a treat to meet the dedicated educators that have a passion to make a difference in the lives of Iowa students and thank them for their work!


The first classroom visit of the day was to Zeb Hubner’s 8th grade Social Studies room. I spoke to the students about my responsibilities as president of ISEA and challenged them to reach beyond the plans they are making for themselves. I shared that it is important to plan ahead for their educational years beyond high school, but there will be opportunities that arise that they might not have planned for that they might consider.



The next classroom visit took us to the high school room of Pam Burke’s Spanish class. I shared with students the path of my career and as well as professional experiences.




We were next off to Ekstrand Elementary here in DeWitt where I would get to read to two different classrooms! We also had the chance to meet the building principal and many friendly staff members!


I read aloud to Mrs. McCulloh’s classroom here at Ekstrand Elementary. They were delightful youngsters that really got involved in the read aloud!





I have not had the chance to read aloud the book Probuditi! by Chris VanAllsburg for quite a while and today I had a few extra minutes in Ms. Chase’s 4th grade room. The class really seemed to enjoy it!

No comments: