Sunday, April 27, 2008

Final UniServ Unit Tour as President Takes Me Home to Southwest UniServ Unit

On Tuesday, April 22nd, I began my last official UniServ Unit Tour as ISEA President by heading home. Home for me is Southwest UniServ Unit where I was given so many opportunities in my local and UniServ Unit to learn and practice the skills as a local leader.

My Tuesday began at Atlantic High School where Atlantic EA past president Bev Schelling provided lunch for me. I joined Bev and other staff in the lounge for lunch as they had a few minutes to enjoy the company of other adults on staff.

Pictured below (on left) with me is Bev Schelling and (on right) Bev and her husband Gaylord Schelling, both teachers at Atlantic High School. Thanks, Bev, for your leadership on Team ISEA!












Following lunch I was off to Atlantic's Washington Elementary School. Here I met up with Atlantic EA building rep. Janice Dickerson, teacher/librarian who gave me a tour of the building.

I first read in the homeroom of Mrs. Alexander, who was absent this day. Substituting in the Kindergarten classroom was Mrs. Bartz. Pictured (on right) are Mrs. Bartz with Mrs. Alexander's Kindergarten class.


Next, I was off to the 3rd grade homeroom of Mrs. Goergen. I was given the opportunity to listen to individual students read reports they'd prepared. Students had been working on fluency and adding inflection. They all did a terrific job! Mrs. Goergen and her 3rd graders are pictured on left.

The final classroom visit at Washington Elementary was to the 2nd grade classroom of Mrs. Tracy Daugherty. Tracy and I were classmates with our UNI Masters' program from the summer of 1997-May 2000. It was extra special to connect with Tracy again and to see her great leadership in the classroom.

It was great to visit my friends and leaders of the Atlantic EA today! Thanks for all you do every day for Iowa's students!

No comments: