Sunday, April 27, 2008

SWUU Tour Begins to Wrap Up With A Visit to Clarinda EA

My final day, Thursday, April 24th of my Southwest UniServ Unit Tour began in the community of Clarinda. My day began at Garfield School, the K-8 Center for the Clarinda Community School District.

I first connected with Southwest UniServ Unit leader and Clarinda EA president, Sharon McAlpin (at left). Sharon is a Vocal Music teacher here. Sharon made arrangements for my visit today. How lucky we are to have Sharon as a leader on Team ISEA!

Eighth grader Sydney R. served as my tour guide of the Middle School portion of the building. She shared with me how not only is she involved in academics, the arts, and athletics, but she's involved in church and her community. I can see why Sydney was chosen as my guide--what a great leader!




Chris Campbell (at left) Chief Negotiator for the Clarinda EA and computer/technology teacher gave me a tour of the elementary portion of the Garfield Center. Thanks for your leadership, Chris, on Team ISEA!

In the school Media Center I was able to read aloud to a group of Kindergarten students. They are pictured (at right) with teacher/librarian Julie Cabeen.













Next, I observed teacher/librarian Julie Cabeen lead 3rd graders in a lesson using reference materials in the school Media Center.

My final classroom visit in Clarinda was in the 4th grade homeroom of Mrs. Diane Campbell. I read aloud the Chris Van Allsburg book Probuditi! The students were a great audience and enjoyed the read aloud. And as all students, they loved the mood pencils from Team ISEA!

Thank you Clarinda EA leaders and staff for your hospitality. You are providing terrific opportunities for all your students. Thanks for all you do!

No comments: