Sunday, April 27, 2008

Getting Roasted and Toasted Back Home in Southwest UniServ Unit

Wednesday evening, April 23rd, I thought I was to briefly address the SWUU Rep Council in Red Oak, only to discover....it was me that was to get "roasted" and "toasted" by my best pals--the SWUU leaders!

Some 65 leaders from all over southwest Iowa gathered at the Red Coach Inn in Red Oak for the annual Southwest UniServ Unit Rep Council. New leaders would be elected, local membership chairs and negotiations teams would be given their due recognition, and oh yes...they would give recognition to me--one of their own for my 4 years as ISEA president.

Tom McLaughlin (at left) Southwest UniServ Unit president and Lewis Central High School Speech and Drama teacher, led the evening meeting. Tom McLaughlin and Patti Ford headed up my two campaigns for ISEA president.

Two longtime friends from the Council Bluffs EA that joined in to "roast" me were Cheri Nielsen (left) Math teacher at Wilson Jr. High and JoAnn Tews (right) 6th grade teacher at Walnut Grove Elementary. I give credit to Cheri for taking me to my first SWUU and ISEA meetings. JoAnn and I shared many rides to Red Oak for UniServ meetings and roomed together at many NEA-RA's.













Kate Shipley (at right) one of our young, emerging SWUU leaders and high school teacher in Creston, prepared a powerpoint presentation of a collection of photos from my travels these past four years.

SWUU members presented me with a number of lovely gifts! First (at left) is a corsage made of various denominations of paper money! SWUU Executive Board member, Becky Poen, Art teacher in Stanton, made the beautiful handmade certificate that is matted and framed here too.


Another SWUU gift was this metal cat/planter. My friends know well how important my kitties are to me! This gift has already found a home outside my front door at my townhouse in Council Bluffs!

Joining in to roast me were SWUU UniServ Directors John Phillips and Pat Shipley (two of three of our SWUU Crew). They presented me packets from the Council Bluffs Chamber of Commerce, the Omaha Chamber and various brochures from communities in southwest Iowa. If I have extra time on my hand, they felt I might need to get reacquainted with communities near home.

The third member of the SWUU Crew is SWUU's Administrative Assistant, Marilyn Paul (at right). Marilyn is the first voice our members connect with when calling the ISEA Regional Office in Red Oak. Marilyn is the calming voice that lowers the level of concern for members who have a need. SWUU members honored Marilyn on Wednesday night for Administrative Assistant's Day and the work she does every day on our behalf.




SWUU honored local EA's this evening too! Local leaders (on the left) represent local EA's that saw a membership growth in 2007-2008. Local leaders (on the right) represent SWUU locals that made their bargaining goal this year. Congratulations to all SWUU locals for increasing members and meeting bargaining goals!

As Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz often repeated, "There's no place like home, there's no place like home!" Thank you SWUU friends for your love and support, I am returning home to SWUU in June!

No comments: