Monday, December 17, 2007

The Association Road Leads to Belmond-Klemme

On Thursday, December 13th a long awaited trip had arrived! I was going to visit Belmond-Klemme where two long-time friends and association activists teach!

Today I connected with UniServ Director Cindy Carroll at the early hour of 6:45 a.m. to travel to Belmond-Klemme. Now that is undoubtedly the hour so many of our educator/members are already on the job!

The first friend to reconnect with was Don Dye. Don teaches high school Speech and Compostion. He gave me this lovely corsage to wear throughout the day! Some of the elementary children even noticed that the ribbons included were their school colors! Just a pretty special fellow, wouldn't you say?! Don did all the planning for my day, a full day filled with meeting members and seeing the great work they do on behalf of Iowa's students!

The other special long-time friend here in Belmond-Klemme is Al Mattison. Al teaches Middle and High School Band. Al also serves on the ISEA Executive Board as the Unit Two representative.

After a start with coffee at the High School in the staff lounge, UniServ Director Cindy and I were off to Parker Elementary!



Welcoming us to Parker as we entered the building was this really cool bulletin board! All the children and staff had each signed their names too! Here I'm pictured with UniServ Director Cindy Carroll. Thanks, Team Parker!


Here I'm pictured with Marcia Burt and her 2nd grade class. We were introduced to “Lucky” the Green Bear, who travels to student’s homes and is read to each day. The student then writes a summary of the book they read in 10 words. I read The Christmas Bear, by Henrietta Strickland (beautiful illustrations) and then was asked to summarize with the students, in 10 words; followed by a three-question interview by students. That Marcia has high expectations for students and visitors alike! I think I measured up too! Yes, I even wore her "Santa hat"!







Next I read to three groups of 3rd grade. I read aloud the book, The Polar Express to the combined group of students. Their teachers are Glenda Cooper, Penny Pederson, and Jolene Smith.



We were off to Debbie Mikesell’s 2nd Grade room next where I read the book 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore.



My least favorite part of the day was hiking up to the third floor of Parker Elementary. Yes, I know it is good for me, but it still doesn't mean it was fun. Here I had the chance to visit with Ruth Johnson and Connie Suntken's 6th graders. I spoke to them about ISEA and my leadership role in the Association. I also spoke to them about leadership opportunities they have already just being a member of clubs and organizations. They definitely made the hike up all those stairs worthwhile!


The last classroom visit at Parker was in the classroom of Juanita Stromer’s 2nd grade. Here I read aloud the book that Mrs. Stromer had selected for me, Henry Bear’s Christmas.


Next, we are off to the Belmond-Klemme High School!

No comments: