Monday, December 17, 2007

Visit to Belmond-Klemme Continues With Stop at the High School

UniServ Director Cindy Carroll and I headed back to the Belmond-Klemme High School where I had the chance to address a class of Juniors and Seniors in Mike Thompson's Government class. I shared with them some of what it takes to get elected to the state legislature as well as duties as a state Representative. Many of these students will be 18 years of age by November 2008, so I challenged them to pay attention to the candidates running for president and go to their precinct caucus on January 3rd.


I was next interviewed by Lee VanderLinden of the Belmond Independent, the local newspaper. Here I am (at the right) visiting with Don Dye and Lee VanderLinden.

I next had the opportunity to visit with the students of Don Dye's Compostion/Speech class. My, they were very bright students! I get so hopeful about Iowa's and our nation's future when I have the chance to engage in conversation with young folks! We are certainly in good hands!

Following a school lunch and conversation with staff in the staff lounge, UniServ Director Cindy Carroll and I were off to Ramsay Elementary.

At Ramsey Elementary I read to two separate groups of students. First I had the chance to read to the combined group of Kindergartners from Marne Markwardt’s and Debbie Jenison’s rooms (Marne was out ill and a substitute Renae was in the room). I read my book, 17 Things I'm Not Allowed To Do Anymore.


The second group that I read aloud to at Ramsey was Lavon Tanner’s 1st Grade class. Here again I read aloud the book 17 Things I'm Not Allowed To Do Anymore.

Now back to Belmond-Klemme High School for one more Government class.

Back at the high school, I had the chance to visit with Juniors and Seniors about how state government impacts them not only as young people in the community, but as students too. I shared with them some of the responsibilities I have as a leader and challenged them to take on leadership roles in the organizations and clubs that they belong to.

Here is Government teacher Callie Stein (on the right). Callie is a second year teacher. How lucky we are to attract young people into the profession. Now, to keep great young, teachers like Callie!


One last trip back to Ramsay Elementary to read to a group of 1st graders. Here (at the right) is Sherry Wagner and her homeroom of 1st grade students. I read aloud The Wild Christmas Reindeer.


Now back to the high school where a reception is planned!


Returning to the high school, we gathered with three dozen staff member or more for conversation and home-made goodies! Pictured (from left to right) are English teachers here at the High School Diane Barkema and Wendy Niccum. They, along with Don Dye, are a great team in all that they take on!

One of our great ESP member/leaders here in Belmond-Klemme is Donna Luick. Donna (pictured on the right) is a Night Custodian here at Belmond-Klemme High School. Donna, just does it all! We are grateful for your work as a leader on Team ISEA, Donna and especially grateful for all you do for students and staff here in Belmond-Klemme! And you know something else? Donna is a terrific cook--she even prepared a goody bag for me to take on my road trip back to Des Moines!

Thank you all, Belmond-Klemme EA and ESP members, for your leadership on Team ISEA!

No comments: