Tuesday, September 04, 2007

A New Favorite for Read Aloud Time

The newest book I'm sharing for a read aloud in classrooms this fall is 17 Things I'm Not Allowed to Do Anymore by Jenny Offill, illustrated by Nancy Carpenter. The teachers and teacher associates are enjoying this book almost more then the children!

Before I begin to share the read aloud I tell the students this is not intended to be a "how to" book, but an example of how great literature can make us laugh outloud.

The book begins with, "I had an idea to staple my brother's hair to his pillow. I am not allowed to use the stapler anymore. "

Here's a kid full of ideas, all day long. For example, in the morning, gluing her brother's bunny slippers to the floor sounds like a good plan. But now she's not allowed to use glue anymore. And what about when she shows Joey Whipple her underpants—they're only underpants, right? Turns out she's not allowed to do that again, either. And isn't broccoli the perfect gift for any brother? It's just too bad her parents don't think so.

No comments: