Monday, September 17, 2007

A Stop at Montauk, then on to a School Visit in Postville

On Thursday morning following the NEIEU Fall Leader's Training in West Union, I was off to the community of Postville. Those of you that know me well, know that I like to be on time....so I left plenty early and figured I had time to spare. On my journey I discovered I was in the neighborhood of Iowa's 12th governor, Governor William Larrabee near Clermont.

Montauk was built in 1874 on a hill near the town of Clermont, Iowa at the cost of approximately $20,000. It was a spectacular site to see this beautiful home on a cool, crisp fall Iowa morning!

If you'd like to learn more about this Iowa historical site, go to http://members.aol.com/montaukiowa/montauk.htm.

Once in Postville, I met up with NEIEU UniServ Director Bev Crumb Gesme. Bev first introduced me to the K-8 Principal Chad Wohls. Chad (pictured at right) just last school year served as President of the Postville EA! Chad taught Middle School Language Arts his first year, then the last five years taught 3rd grade. Chad has the unique opportunity to work/supervise his own father who is the K-8 school Counselor here in Postville!









Next we were off to the 1st grade class of Mrs. Linda Hughes. I first read (on the left), then Bev (on the right) read a story to the children.

Here I'm pictured (on the right) with Mrs. Hughes and her 1st grade homeroom. Mrs. Hughes shared that the Kindergarten through 2nd grade classes are running 70% (or greater) children of Hispanic origin. Aren't they just the cutest little kiddos?!

The other classroom I had a chance to read in was that of Mrs. Stephanie Spain. Here Mrs. Spain (on the right) is pictured with her 2nd graders and their student teacher (on the left) Miss Kailhofer. Miss Kailhofer is a student at Luther College in Decorah. Stephanie Spain is the Vice President of the Postville EA. Thanks Stephanie for your leadership in the classroom and in the association!

Next we were off to the Postville High School where we had the chance to visit with a number of association members in the staff lounge and in their classrooms (during their planning time).

Thanks, Postville for the chance to meet you and to see the great opportunities you're providing for Iowa's students!

No comments: