Tuesday, October 02, 2007

A Return Visit to Irving Elementary in Waterloo

My first year in office, Team NEA brought its 2004 Election Tour Bus to Waterloo. The bus stop that fall evening was at Irving Elementary for dinner and an opportunity to hear from NEA President Reg Weaver.


Today Hawkeye UniServ Director Shelly Staker and I were greeted by Waterloo EA President-elect John Barker. I first met John (pictured at left) as a delegate this summer to the 2007 NEA-RA in Philadelphia. John also brought a great group of folks from Waterloo to ISEA's Summer Conference in Storm Lake the first of August.

Our first classroom visit at Irving was to Audra Verthein's Pre-School room. Here Audra (on the left) is pictured with her class along with para-educator Amra Ozegovic (on right).


Next I had the chance to read to Mrs. Hart's Kindergarten class. With major league baseball playoffs underway, I read aloud the picture book Take Me Out to the Ballgame, then we all stretched (for the 7th inning) and sang the song together!

In Mrs. Weller's Kindergarten I was able to share a favorite book. They were really terrific listeners and helped out with the read aloud! Pictured (at right) is Mrs. Weller and her Kindergartners. Mr. Barker joined in for the group photo!
Mrs. Artgotsinger's 5th graders were prepared to interview me. They asked great questions about my travels, the students and teachers I've met, as well about what I found most interesting in my school visits. Mrs. Artgotsinger and her class are pictured here on the left.


In Korie Frazier's 5th grade class I had the chance to read aloud Duck for President. Korie is pictured (at right) with her 5th grade homeroom.

The last classroom visit for us at Irving was in Mrs. Julie Wedcking's 1st grade. The children were delightful! Thanks for letting me share a favorite book. Keep reading, reading, reading!

The stop at Irving was to sit down with staff and listen to shared concerns. Staff shared ideas for upcoming negotiations as well as problem solving strategies on various issues within the school district.

(L-left to right) April Srearns a para-educator in 3rd through 5th grades and Dianne Moran, Guidance Counselor.
(R-left to right) Colleen Walvatner, Kindergarten through 2nd grade para-educator and Deborah Sallis, Building Interventionist.









No comments: