Monday, September 25, 2006

Great Leadership in the West Bend-Mallard EA


Down the road a piece we came upon another central Iowa landmark, the mallard at Mallard, IA. I made the mistake of telling someone later that I had my photo taken next to the “duck” and was quickly corrected—it is a mallard!


Once in Mallard, we went immediately to the West Bend-Mallard 3-8 building where we met up with Claudia Koch. Claudia is the Unit 10 representative on the ISEA Building Support for Public Education committee. Claudia is a K-12 TAG instructor and district TAG coordinator. Claudia is responsible for having the academics recognized in the grand hallway of the high school right alongside the athletic trophies. Great leadership, Claudia!


Claudia took us to the gym where the 3-4-5 graders were all waiting patiently for me to read aloud. They liked the book, Tops and Bottoms by Janet Stevens, author and illustrator (which I thought appropriate to share since harvesting has begun). But the students really loved the “mood” pencils I left with them best. I always tell students before handing out the pencils, that “this is a reminder that the Iowa State Education Association is working hard so that all Iowa students have a great public school”.

We next scurried off to the West Bend building where afternoon recess was just finishing. Kindergarten, first and second graders gathered to hear the read aloud. I so enjoy sharing a favorite book with children! Even though they aren’t my homeroom students, I do feel it keeps me somewhat connected to the children!

After school, members of the West Bend-Mallard EA gathered for an ice cream sundae reception at the West Bend building. Pictured here is the president of the West Bend-Mallard EA, Deb Specht. Deb is the Pre-K through 12th grade Art teacher.

While in West Bend, I drove on over to the “Grotto of the Redemption” You can get more information about the grotto by going to mailto:info@westbendgrotto.comom or visit the grotto’s website at http://www.westbendgrotto.com/dgrotto.com/ .

No comments: