Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Media Opportunities in Spencer


Unit 10 takes in a lot of territory, so in 3 days I nearly logged on 1,000 miles! Upon leaving Britt, we headed to Spencer. In Spencer UD King had arranged for two interviews. The first took me to the Spencer Daily where I sat down with reporter Kris Todd.

Once the newspaper interview was complete, we were off to KICD radio. Here I felt I was being poked in the eye for the entire 45 minutes. Gee, why don’t public schools support vouchers, tuition tax credits, and performance based pay? Then the radio person goes on to tell me how they home-schooled their own children. Gee, why do public schools feel that there’s not a problem that throwing money at can’t fix it—and in the same breath the reporter shared how since they are a little station surrounded by really huge stations, they bought dopler radar, goo-gobs of computers and other technologies---in which I quickly reminded him that it sounded like they fixed their problem by throwing a lot of money at it. It was painful, but a quick reminder that not everyone supports public schools and as public school advocates, we have much work yet to do!

No comments: