Thursday, September 07, 2006

A Visit to Sibley-Ocheyedan High School and Middle School

On Wednesday, September 6th I started my day in Sibley at the Sibley-Ocheyedan High School.




I spoke first and third period to Fred Matlage's Senior Government Class. I shared with the students my experience as a state legislator and why it is that educators do pay close attention to the actions of state and federal policy makers. Our discussion led into how the actions of state and federal policy makers touch their lives too. I shouldn't have been surprised, but these 12th grade students really understood the additional paperwork and gearing up for the ITED's under the "No Child Left Behind" Law. For the early morning hour, the students involved themselves in the discussion and our time together flew by! Great leadership, Fred Matlage!


I spent 2nd hour on Wednesday in the 8th grade Art classroom of teacher Shanise Brockshus. Shanise is the 7th-12th grade Art teacher here in Sibley-Ocheyedan Community School District. I first met Shanise on my travels last fall to Northern Pride UniServ Unit at the Unit dinner meeting. It was great to reconnect with her and see her do the magic of working with students! Thanks for your leadership in the classroom Shanise and in the association! You are a gem!

No comments: