Monday, September 25, 2006

Wednesday's Travels Lead Us to Britt and West Hancock

On Wednesday, September 20th UniServ Director Steve King and I drove to Britt to visit West Hancock Community Schools. The first class I had the chance to meet with was Robin Kudej's “Public Speaking” class filled with Juniors and Seniors. I shared with the students that my first and only public speaking class was my first year of college. I told the students that I never imagined one day I would hold the position I do today. They agreed they don’t know where their life-path will take them! We had a great exchange with their questions--good thinking, kids!


While in West Hancock I got to read aloud to Betty Kobes’s first grade. The students got involved in making predictions as they followed the story pattern, then checking back as we read the book together.


Another great group of students that I had the chance to share a read aloud with was Mrs. Roxanne Savoy’s first grade. Pictured with Mrs. Savoy is her student teacher, Mrs. Squier.


I had the chance to share a favorite read aloud with a great group of third graders from Jolene Bruns' class on Wednesday. The students did a terrific job of making predicitions and as we read on, checked back to see if their predictions were correct. Great listening skills, kids!


The last class where I shared a read aloud with at West Hancock was Mrs. Linda Tangemann’s 2nd grade. Pictured with Mrs. Tangemann’s class is teacher associate Lisa Beachy.




Before heading out, UniServ Director Steve King and I had a few minutes to visit with local West Hancock EA President Mary Clark. President Clark is the K-12 Guidance Counselor in West Hancock. Thanks for your leadership, President Mary!

No comments: