Monday, October 23, 2006

A Rainy Fall Iowa Afternoon Takes Us to Dunkerton


Following a great Wednesday morning in Wapsie Valley Community Schools, off we went to Oelwein to have lunch on main street before our afternoon in Dunkerton.

In Dunkerton I found myself starting in the elementary building. The first two classrooms I had a chance to visit were in 1st grade. The first group I read to was Mrs. Rathe’s classroom (pictured on left), followed by Mrs. Thompson’s class (on the right).











A 1st grade student leader lead me down another hallway to the 4th grade classrooms. Here I read to the combined classes of Mr. Dan Cutsforth (sorry Mr. Cutsforth's class, I didn't get your photo!) and Ms. Deb Rueber (pictured on the left).

As all Iowa students, Dunkerton students loved the ISEA pencils I leave behind. The pencils are “mood” pencils—they start out purple, then turn pink when you wrap your warm hand around them. I remind the students that the ISEA is working hard every day to make sure all Iowa students have a great public school.


After completing reading in the 4th grade, a student leader lead us back down the hallway to the 2nd grade classroom of Mrs. Foss. I had the chance to read aloud a favorite book to her 2nd graders. Mrs. Foss and her homeroom is pictured here on the left.

Next I read to a combined group of Mrs. Wach’s 2nd grade (pictured on the right/below) and Mrs. Wurzer’s 6th grade(pictured on the left/below) . They all enjoyed the read aloud and were terrific listeners!











The final elementary classroom visit was in Mrs. Best’s Kindergarten. Your students were so engaged, it was a treat to be in your classroom! Thanks for allowing me to share a favorite read aloud with you!




The classroom visits in Dunkerton ended by visiting Mrs. Joelle Smith’s High School Band classroom. Joelle (pictured at left) serves as the Dunkerton EA President. It was a treat to have a few minutes to visit with this great leader as she shared the many activities that the Dunkerton EA has ongoing throughout the school year.



As the school day ended, Dunkerton EA members gathered in the High School Band room for conversation and snacks.










Pictured here (at left) is Nancy Moss, Junior High Math teacher and Dunkerton EA Treasurer and Membership Chair. Thanks for your leadership Nancy!


Thank you all, Team ISEA/Dunkerton EA for your hospitality! I had the most enjoyable afternoon! It was such a treat to meet you all and spend time seeing the great things you do every day for the students of Iowa!

No comments: