Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Visiting Classes in the Interstate 35 Community School District

My classroom visits began in Mrs. Vicki Westerly's room where she gathered many of the 8th graders to visit with me about community service and the importance of giving back to your community. Students shared the different leadership roles they've taken on in school, church and home and the kinds of organized efforts they've made thus far. I challenged them not to wait until they are 18 to vote, but to listen to the candidates and get involved now--make a difference in who is elected. They were a great bunch of young leaders!

The first elementary classes I had a chance to read aloud to were two groups of first graders. The kids enjoyed the book Tops and Bottoms and gladly posed outdoors in the fresh air for a group photo. Here the children are pictured with their teachers Mrs. Reynolds and Mrs. Matledge. Thanks for letting me share a favorite book!

In next class we were immediately drawn to the class pet's cage off to the side of the room. This is Dayton (the rabbit) in Raeanne Thomas's 2nd grade classroom. Ms. Thomas explained that Dayton is a pretty talented rabbit--he can untie shoes, climb upon the 4 drawer file cabinet, and he even has his own portfolio! He moved into the classroom last year at the age of 6 weeks.

Ms. Thomas is pictured here (at left) with her homeroom of 2nd graders. How lucky they are to have such an enthusiastic and caring teacher! Thanks for the great "magic" you continue to do Ms. Thomas!


What fun I had in the next classroom! Why, after sharing the read aloud in Mrs. Beeler's 2nd grade, the students awarded ME a certificate! Wow, did they ever surprise me! My award says, "Eager Reader! Linda Nelson, THANK YOU!" Mrs. Beeler (in the white shirt/back row) is pictured with her class of 2nd graders along with their great teacher associate Mrs. Schultz (at right/back row). And I want to thank you--- Mrs. Beeler, Mrs. Schultz and 2nd graders for your enthusiasm for reading!

The last elementary classroom where I got to share a favorite read aloud was extra special. When I walked into the room, I knew right away that I knew the teacher. When I first visited Interstate 35 Schools in the fall of 2004, I met Pre-School teacher Mrs. McKinney. She was teaching in one of the portable classrooms next to the elementary building. Mrs. McKinney (pictured at left with her class) now teaches an enthusiastic group of Kindergarten children. How lucky these boys and girls are to have such a great teacher leading their instructional day! It was great to see you again Mrs McKinney!

The last group of students I was able to visit with was in Mrs. Walkup's 7th grade TAG class. Mrs. Walkup (pictured at right) and her students have been working hard in preparing for Moc-Trial and took a break to visit with me about professions they are considering as they move closer to High School graduation. I challenged them to talk about what kind of person makes a great teacher in their eyes. They shared the teachers they like have a sense of humor, make class fun (not seem like work), and make them want to come back to school/class each day. I shared with them how ISEA is working hard to bring salaries up to national average and have salaries that are competitive to other careers that require a four year college degree. I told them we only wanted the best and brightest to go into teaching--because they know what a difference a great teacher can make! I also challenged them to think about teaching as a career.

No comments: