Thursday, March 22, 2007

The End of the ECUU Trail Leads Me to Green Mountain-Garwin High School

On Thursday afternoon I had the chance to visit again the classroom of the GMG EA president Phyllis Rodgers. Phyllis is a Junior-Senior High Math teacher.

As I entered the classroom the lesson was already underway. The 7th grade math students were walking through the process of a word problem. Students were very comfortable in sharing the process they went through in solving the problem. They discovered there is more then one way to come up with the answer!

The remainder of their lesson focused on two-step equations. As they repeated the process again and again, they recited aloud the steps they went through in solving the problems. I know if I had had a teacher like Mrs. Rodgers in 7th grade, Math might have made more sense to me!

Phyllis did take a few minutes to visit with me as students worked on their semester test. She shared how GMG benefits greatly from open enrollment; they have 5 days to make up because of snow; and she thinks they have a tentative agreement on next year's contract! Thanks for your continued leadership, Phyllis!

No comments: