Monday, March 05, 2007

Home at Last, Home at Last, Thank Goodness I'm Home at Last!

After three nights in the Super 8 in Atlantic during the Blizzard of 2007, I ventured out on Saturday around 10:30 a .m. to head back to Des Moines. I headed south on Hwy 71 which was entirely ice and snow covered. Luckily I only had to drive 8-10 miles on Hwy 71 before connecting with Hwy 92 that would take me east to Des Moines. I averaged 30-35 mph on Hwy 71 as did all other drivers, being extra cautious.

Once to Hwy 92 there awaited a line of some 50 vehicles taking their turn to get onto Hwy 71 and jog south a bit before reconnecting to Hwy 92 to head west again. The Interstate highways in Iowa did not open until noon (I later found out) and there were hundreds of trucks at each entrance ramp waiting to get on the road. Many of those truck drivers were like me, finding an alternative route that would take us either east or west. I drove through long stretches of highway that were completely dry, but more often then not there were large sections of ice and snow packed areas.

In the end it took me a total of 2 1/2 hours (normally could have made it in 90 minutes) to reach my apartment in Norwalk. Once at home my kitties (Gracie atop the suitcase) were as glad to see me as I was to see them. There's something about being home in a snow storm where you can putter around and do a few things. Held up in a motel--I tried to remain "up" knowing I had no control over the situation. By Saturday morning, enough was enough!

Here B.C. (Baby Cakes) sits on the other bar stool next to me as I check emails on the laptop. He usually has his head on my left knee and sleeps as I sit there. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, it is good to be home! I hope this finds you all with your power back on and your driveways all scooped!

1 comment:

Roy Bishop said...

Hi Linda; I'm glad you made it back home. I can't imagine what you and your fellow travelers went through.