Wednesday, March 21, 2007

A Great Way to Start a Day at Grant Wood Elementary in Iowa City

My day began on just the very best note possible, I was invited to Grant Wood Elementary in Iowa City to read to three groups of third grade. I was greeted by an enthusiastic teacher that seemed to be awaiting my arrival. She introduced herself as a teacher/member of 35 years, her mother a member for 50 years and I do believe she said her husband is a teacher/member too. As she was heaping the praise on me, I tried my best to share that all we do in the association as in education is about team work and I thanked her for working hard as a member of our team!


With today marking the first day of spring, I just had to pull from my book bag my baseball books. I read the words to the song, "Take Me Out to the Ballgame", then had the children stand for the 7th inning s-t-r-e-t-c-h and sang together the words and shouted out our favorite team's name (instead of the hometeam). It set the tone for reading the poem, "Casey at the Bat."


The first classroom I read to was Mrs. Schintler's 3rd grade. Mrs. Schnitler is the Treasurer for the Iowa City EA. When I finished reading, I always ask the children to turn towards their teacher and put their hands together and join me in thanking their teacher for all they do every day for them. I then also ask if they'd mind posing for a photo with their teacher. The children asked if they could have their picture taken by the banner that they all helped make in welcoming me to Grant Wood Elementary. Mrs. Schintler is on the left (in the back row) standing next to para professional Mrs. Walczyk. Thanks boys and girls, you certainly made me feel welcome!

I felt right at home in Ms. Grisby's classroom. She had wonderful baseball books displayed in bins full of books in her literature center. The children shared they had been reading about players from the past--folks like Gosh Gibson, Shoeless Joe Jackson, Satchel Page and others. They were ready for the books I had brought to share! When the read alouds were finished, they presented me with a copy of Little Betty, by Sarah Honson (a 3rd grade student in Ms. Grisby's class!). I applaud them for their reading and writing efforts--great readers make great writers!


The final classroom visit took me into Mrs. Lois Bird's 3rd grade. The students were enthusiastic in sharing their favorite team names and seemed to enjoy the sing-a-long too.

All of the students were just delightful! I know they truly have the very best teachers and support staff that work hard every day to provide opportunities for them to grow and learn and to be successful. Thank you all Grant Wood Elementary staff for your leadership in the classroom, how lucky we are to have each and everyone one of you on Team ISEA!

No comments: