Friday, March 02, 2007

Getting a Jump Start on Celebrating Seuss

On Monday morning, February 26th I had the pleasure of visiting Western Hills Elementary in West Des Moines. It was my first outing following a weekend winter storm that dumped 6-10" of snow over central Iowa and knocked the power out for over 150,000 Iowans.

After checking in the office, I slipped into the 3rd grade classroom of ISEA Executive Board rep from Polk Suburban UniServ Unit, Mike Beranek. Mike's homeroom had just returned from a brief outdoor recess. Mr. Beranek is a Disney Award winning teacher and a statewide Wal Mart Teacher of the Year.


I had the chance to read to two first grade classrooms. The first classroom I visited was Leslie Custer's homeroom. Leslie is pictured here (standing at left in back) with her 1st graders and teacher associate.


Getting into the spirit of the upcoming celebration of Dr.Seuss's birthday, I'm pictured here with 1st grade teacher Laura Axman (on right) and her teacher associate Karen Schneider (on left).



My "Cat in the Hat" hat topping my head, I read aloud The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss to both 1st grade classes.



It was such a treat to be back in the classroom! The two groups of 1st grade were great listeners and got involved in helping me out with the read aloud. Here Laura Axman and Karen Schneider are pictured with their 1st grade homeroom.



Dropping by the classroom to say hello was Western Hills building leader and principal Mrs. Rachelle Dawson. It was great to reconnect with this great educator! Rachelle happens to be the daughter of Iowa Department of Education Director Judy Jeffrey. Great education leaders and advocates run in the family!

No comments: