Saturday, March 03, 2007

There's No Place Like Home

Just as Dorothy said in the Wizard of Oz, "There's no place like home!" If only I had ruby red slippers like Dorothy's (that worked)!

I'm in my fourth day of waiting out the Blizzard of 2007 here in Atlantic, Iowa at the Super 8 motel. I arrived on Wednesday evening, February 28th in anticipation of school visits here in Atlantic. The highlight of my day is hanging out in the breakfast area visiting with other stranded motorists and sharing the stories that brought us here. The beauty of Atlantic is we're 1/2 way between Omaha, NE and Des Moines, IA and can access TV stations in both communities. No matter which channel I've turned to, it just doesn't look good out there! It is reported that between the two Interstate exits for Atlantic (a 5 mile stretch) there are over 200 stranded vehicles.

I had a nice visit yesterday with two gentlemen stranded here from Elk Horn, IA (17 miles north). One of the men had served on their local school board for 9 years. He said what a valuable experience it was and how he certainly had a renewed appreciation for the work of teachers and support staff in our public schools.

Other stranded motorists I've visited with are from Kansas, South Dakota, Minnesota, Utah, and more! Some are trying to get to Des Moines, Iowa City, Chicago and beyond. Nearly all had been driving on the Interstate and were forced to exit or leave their stranded vehicle on Thursday.

Atlantic, Iowa is a good and welcoming community to be stranded, but as Dorothy said....."There's no place like home!"

No comments: