Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Great Start to the Day in Clayton Ridge EA


Our morning began with UniServ Director Bob Brown arriving to pick me up at 6:30 a.m. We headed west then north to the community of Garnavillo and to the Clayton Ridge Middle School. We were greeted by a staff lounge bursting with conversation and lots of smiles. CREA member Rondee Troester had made the most delicious fruit pizza, but better yet...you decide!

Fruit Pizza

Crust:
1/4 c. oil
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. margarine
1 egg
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. cream of tarter
2 1/2 c. flour

Topping:
1 8oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. COOL WHIP

Mix crust and bake for 12 minutes at 350 degrees. With mixer cream topping and put on cooled crust. Then arrange any kind of fresh fruit on top of topping and pour glaze over the fruit.

Glaze:
1/2 c. sugar
1 Tbs. corn starch
2 Tbs. lemon juice
1/2 c. orange juice
1/2 c. water

Boil for 1 minute, cool and pour over fruit. Enjoy!

It was a fun gathering of staff and we received the most warm welcome!


Our first classroom visit was in Clayton Ridge EA president Becky Popelka's Advisory Class. Becky is a second year teacher and a native of Cedar Rapids. We had the most delightful conversation! I shared with her the hopeful outcome of the General Assembly's actions and how we hoped it would keep bright, young teachers like her to stay in Iowa.

I had a few minutes to address Becky's Advisory group of 8th grade students. I shared with them my career path and challenged them to not to be satisfied with the status quo. I asked them to make a difference and follow what is important to you.

Heading down the hallway to our second classroom visit, we popped our head into the compute lab and met Technology teacher Mindy Reimer (on right) and ISEA Executive board member and 5-8 band teacher Peg Thein.

In Rondee Troester's 5th grade classroom I began by asking the students who their favorite baseball teams were. Next I read from the picture book, Take Me Out to the Ballgame, song by Jack Norworth. The children and I then rose to our feet as if in the 7th inning stretch and together sang the song (and of course) shouting out our favorite team names when it came time to "root, root, root for the home team"! The mood was set. I then read the poem (in picture book format) of Casey at the Bat, by Ernest Lawrence Thayer. They weren't quite expecting the ending. Here Mrs. Troester and her 5th graders pose for my photo. The students were just the best listeners and most delightful!

The final group of middle school students I had a chance to visit with was Mrs. Sarah Lawrence's 7th grade Social Studies class. I shared with the students the opportunities and some of the responsibilities I have had in my position as ISEA president. I spoke of my passion for making greater opportunities for all of Iowa's students to have a great public schools and that sometimes even when you least expect it opportunties arise....and you should go for them!
Thanks so much Clayton Ridge Middle School for your warm hospitality! You all are truly dedicated professionals! NEXT: Off to Guttenberg and the elementary building in Clayton Ridge Community Schools.

No comments: