Thursday, March 22, 2007

Opening Day is Just Around the Corner

With the first full day of spring behind us, I know that the major league baseball season opener is just around the corner!

The first of two books I share in a read-aloud is Take me out to the Ballgame, by Jack Norworth, Aleck Gillman (Illustrator). I begin the lesson by asking the students if they have a favorite baseball team. I have the students read with me the words as I turn the pages. Finally, we all stand as if it were the 7th inning s-t-r-e-t-c-h and sing the song together. They (and me too!) especially like shouting out our favorite team names when we "root, root, root for the home team"!

After the anticipatory set (as Madeline Hunter would say), I share the poem "Casey at the Bat". I use my picture book Casey at the Bat: A Ballad of the Republic Sung in the Year 1888, by Ernest Lawrence Thayer, Christopher H. Bing (Illustrator) . The children are always surprised with the ending!

1 comment:

Roy Bishop said...

I've never heard of the first book. I'll need to pick it up and read it with the kids.

Do kids enjoy baseball as much as we did at such a young age?

Go Cardinals!